What is your IAQ?
The EPA is sounding the alarm bell and warns that indoor air quality is typically five and up to 100 times more polluted than outdoor air. I can change that.
In a 2009 study, Environmental Health Sciences reported test results done on 52 ordinary homes. The scientists identified 586 chemicals, including phthalates, flame retardants, pesticides diazinon, chlorpyrifos, and DDT.
Indoor air quality can be affected by many factors, including excessive moisture, common allergens, and off-gassing from building materials, cleaning products, dry cleaning, and synthetic fragrances.
Step 1: Know What’s in the Air You Breath
There are three main categories air pollutants fall under that we can test:
- Biological particles like mold, bacteria, animal dander, pollen, viruses, and more
- Non-biological particles like smoke, dust, and heavy metals, etc.
- Gases like VOC and SVOC fumes from cleaning products, adhesives, pesticides, paint, carpet, and even dry cleaning
Step 2: Control Your Indoor Pollution
- The use of synthetic building materials, paints, and finishes are problematic since they can off-gas for years. There are many safer alternatives.
- Furniture and cabinets are commonly made of plywood and particle board which can emit high amounts of cancer-causing formaldehyde.
- Cleaning products, beauty products, and plastics can contribute to the chemical air load.
- Water intrusion can be a source of toxic air mixed with mildew and mold.
Step 3: Filter Your Air
Toxic off-gassing fumes have nowhere to be filtered except our lungs. Filtering your air is critical to a space free of pollutants and toxins.
Energy-efficient and airtight building envelopes don’t allow for the exchange of fresh air, and cause toxic indoor air resulting in “Sick Building Syndrome.” It’s estimated 35 to 45 million Americans may suffer from symptoms associated with this syndrome.
Your indoor air quality is important for your long term health.
I test your air for pollutants and allergens, identify the problem sources, and then help you choose the best air purifying methods for your space and situation. I will educate you on how to make the best purchasing decisions moving forward so you can breathe easy.